What is bone broth and what can it do for me?
- Bone broth is a nutrient-rich, savory liquid made from simmering animal bones in water for an extended period of time (We brew ours for ~13 hours). The slow cooking process helps extract minerals, collagen, and amino acids, ultimately creating a rich broth that can be supportive of gut and digestive health, immune health, musculoskeletal health, nervous system health, and more! Many folks struggling with gastrointestinal issues, nausea, autoimmunity, cold/flu symptoms, and bone/joint pain choose to consume bone broth regularly as a natural and delicious remedy. We also use vegetables and medicinal herbs in our recipes to boost the therapeutic value. Want to know more specific nutrient details? Please ask us! We want to put our Master's in Nutrition degree to good use.
Is bone broth just a trend?
- While bone broth is certainly having a moment right now in the health and wellness field, broth has been a staple across the diet of nearly every culture for thousands of years, so no.... it's not just a trend! It's an ancient practice that we believe should be honored and treated with deep respect. Yes, it's highly nutritious and a powerful health tonic. But we also want our broth to make you feel nourished and soothed like your great great grandmother’s warm chicken noodle soup on a cold winter day.
How do I place an order?
- You can place your order via our Shop tab for farmer's market pickup or local delivery. Also, check our Where To Find Us page, join our newsletter, and follow our socials, to see where you can find broth at out in the community!
When and where do deliveries occur?
- We deliver broth every MONDAY between 10AM-4PM for a small fee. If you will not be home during this time to bring your broth inside, please leave a cooler bag outside your door so your broth doesn't sit out in the open for more than 2 hours. Please be on the lookout for our emails for any additional instructions. Here is a map of our delivery limits within the Portland area.
Do you do custom orders?
- Absolutely! It's one of our favorite things :) - we have a minimum requirement of 8 QUARTS for custom orders, so if you have the freezer space and would like to stock up on a custom-made broth, please fill out an inquiry form on our Custom Broth page. We're happy to work with you based on your health needs and taste preferences.
How has COVID-19 impacted Back To Broth?
- We launched Back to Broth in the summer of 2019. Before the pandemic, we were frequently participating in and facilitating community events, music festivals, and group broth ceremonies. Connecting community has been at the center of our mission from the start. While we've had to move away from this to some degree, we're still here: creating new broth recipes and offerings to our customers & serving our local farmer's market community. 2021, we don't doubt that there will be even more surprises, pivots, and growth in store!
Why is your broth more expensive than the broth on my grocery store shelves?
- Glad you asked! We use the highest quality ingredients possible to create our broth, including boosting our broths with medicinal herbs. We work with local farmers in Oregon who believe and embody practices that enrich their soils and ecosystem. Because we want to uphold a level of integrity with our quality and practices, it means we have to fork over a little more of that green stuff. Additionally, we are also real humans making your broth in small batches, and we spend 13 hour shifts in the kitchen! It's a labor of love, and we believe that this kind of investment will prove to be a long term solution to ensuring we make this planet habitable for generations to come.
How long does the broth last? Can I freeze it?
- We recommend consuming your broth within 10 days once opened, if stored in the refrigerator. Our broth can be frozen for up to 3 months, but remember that liquids expand when frozen and can, therefore, break glass jars. If you choose to do this, we recommend that you store your broth in a freezer-safe container such as a silicone bag. We also have frozen paper container options!
Why won't you ship your broth to me across the country?
- Because we want you to visit us in Portland! :P We joke, however, we are currently focused on serving our local community. As we work to reach a broader audience through retail stores in the Oregon area, we are also exploring the possibility of shipping our broth, so stay tuned.
Returns & Refunds
- Unfortunately, we cannot take returns if the product is open. However, if you have a concern with quality, please send us an email.